Skip to main content

About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Boston 21, Us 11, Obama 4, David Hunt 4, U.s. 4, Iran 3, Brokaw 3, Lunchroom 3, United States 3, Afghanistan 3, Islam 3, Egypt 3, Lord 2, Verizon 2, Jon Stewart 2, John Stossel 2, Bill O'reilly 2, Stossel 2, Deere 2, Taliban 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC)  

    April 23, 2013
    5:00 - 6:00pm PDT  

5:00pm
23rd, 2013. i'm shepard smith. we're back tomorrow, noon pacific, 3:00 eastern for "studio b." and right back here for "the fox report" tomorrow night. unless this guy says no. >> the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> we take care not to rush to judgment. not about the motivations of these individuals, certainly not about entire groups of people. >> is the president's soft attitude toward defining muslim terrorists a good strategy for america? it's a complicated question. we will debate it tonight. [chanting] >> bill: how should americans think about the muslim world when jihadists continue to cause trouble all over the place? we'll take a look at that very controversial question. >> i think we also have to examine the use of drones the united states is involved in. >> bill: combat veteran colonel david hunt appalled by tom broekhoff's assertion that drone attacks may have triggered the boston terror bombing. the colonel will be here.
5:01pm
caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. >> bill: hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. fighting the jihadists, that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. it is now becoming clear that the homeland security department let all americans down by not flagging the slain terrorists tamerlan tsarnaev. when russian intelligence alerts american homeland security people about an individual, you mark that individual forever. the russians are busy. they don't have time for small ball. the fact that this guy was selected for scrutiny by russian intelligence is huge. and then he travels from the u.s.a. to russia, returning six months later
5:02pm
and u.s. intelligence doesn't watch him? what a massive screw up. massive. in addition, the guy was posting jihad garbage on the internet. and, still, he was not being watched. we simply can't have it. that's a mistake that cost four people their lives and more than 200 others their health. we cannot afford mistakes like that. now, on the broader question, it's clear to any sane person that muslim jihadists are a threat to the world. yet, president obama will not say that. >> when a tragedy like this happens, with public safety at risk and the stakes so high, it's important that we do this right. that's why we have investigations. that's why we relentlessly gather the facts.
5:03pm
that's why we have courts. that's why we take care not to rush to judgment. not about the motivations of these individuals, certainly not about entire groups of people. >> bill: but, of course, it's all about motivation and it is about a specific group of people. president obama is wrong, seriously wrong. it's clear the two boston bombers were jihadists. they believed they have a right to kill children to serve their religion. who else does that? what other theology in this world justifies murdering innocent people? the answer is? only radical islam allows terror murder. that's the truth. president obama doesn't want to say the truth. and the reason is politics. as we reported last night, there are muslim nations that help the u.s.a. they provide vital intelligence. their secret police actually kill jihadists.
5:04pm
mr. obama rightly doesn't want to alienate those nations. also, most muslims on this earth are good people but think are not helping to neutralize the jihad. they are ♪ standing up against it in any numbers. that includes american muslims: they largely remain silent. this is a situation we all face in newark i jihad is real. radical muslims are killing in the people and threatening the world. country like iran would wipe out every just -- jew on earth if it could and then they would wipe us could. iran is a muslim theocracy. quantd 1068 any problem unless you stand it i believe president obama knows it's a threat to the world but he is also never never going to define it that way. not going to say what the real situation is. again, i believe that's a
5:05pm
terrible mistake. and that's the memo. now for the top story tonight. reaction. joining us from reaction, fox news analyst charles krauthammer. and you say? >> i say i don't know what he is thinking. but i sure know what he is saying and doing. the lengths to which he will go to avoid telling us the truth about the enemy is becoming chick comical. certainly embarrassing. forget about use the word jihadist. he will never use that but he reeves to use -- refuses to use the word islamist which is used throughout the muslim world. authors, parliament, in egypt. it's used in lebanon. it's used everywhere by muslims. yet, obama won't touch it because he refuses to use any words that might imply a connection between radical islam and terrorism which as anybody who is over the age of 9 knows is the single greatest cause of terror in the world
5:06pm
today. i will give you one example which is completely overlooked by everyone. it was a rather trivial one. when he was in israel, he gave a speech in jerusalem. and in the middle of the speech he talked about the rise of the islamist parties. in egypt and elsewhere. the brotherhood. in egypt and -- whats watt praise he used? we have to be concerned about the rise of nonsecular parties. what a weird word to use. the word is religious parties. the word is islamist parties. yet, even in this trivial throw away line. in a speech in jerusalem. he refuses to use the obvious word. >> bill: now, does it matter? that's the question. so we have established the fact that president obama for whatever his reason and he won't explain it, isn't going to define the worldwide terrorism problem accurately. he is not. does it matter that he doesn't? >> it matters because if you want to mobilize the
5:07pm
population. if you want to give them the courage to persist and to carry on a fight which should be a difficult fight. it could go on for a generation. you have to be clear with your own people about who the enemy is. churchill did not speak about german extremists. he talked about the nazi menace. he described it in detail. fdr didn't speak about extremists in tokyo. he talked about the japanese imperialism and its threat to the whole region. you have to be able to be honest with the people. if you are going to get any support. otherwise, you get an event here, an event there and you say we can't jump to any conclusions? within three days everybody understands that these brothers were jihadists. >> bill: within three minutes everybody
5:08pm
understood. as soon as they saw they were from chechna. as soon as they saw what they were everybody knew it was. you can't say, i think fair live that president obama president obama is soft ons jihad. he hasn't been soft on it he uses the drones, which of course, tom broekhoff is all upset about and we will get to that with colonel hunt in a moment. he is not soft on it he doesn't avoid killing them when he can. so, you know, this is a pr thing, i guess. i think it's more than pr because, again's, if you want to lead a nation in a fight that takes a long timed dronel attacks are happening off screen below radar. it doesn't affect us in our lives. yes, i commend him on that. yes, it is happening. but he tries to keep all of this at bay as if it is not happening. it's all in secret. we don't hear about it. and every once in a while you get an attack in boston, people say what's
5:09pm
going on? i thought as obama said the tide of war is receding. i thought we don't even use the use the phrase the war on terror. i thought the guy who killed 13 americans in the fort hood shooting who jumped up on a table and yelled ala akbar which is the signature of the jihad is still today called by this administration officially work place violence it's absurd. >> undermines the will of americans. >> do you ever think we are going to know why the president is doing this? ever? >> i'm not sure -- i mean, we can all speculate. i don't think he will even admit it he will say i want to make sure -- he will say i want to make sure. >> bill: the word muslim terrorism in this whole boston thing. >> he is afraid if he uses the word muslim it's going to stigmatize a billion people on earth which is
5:10pm
ridiculous. >> bill: everybody knows it's muslim terrorism but he won't admit it because is he afraid they are going to be stigmatized. they are already stigma tides. >> you don't have to convince me. >> bill: i know. it's so insane. i don't understand. >> in the end it's embarrassing. >> it is embarrassing. you know, i don't know why it's happening. all right, charles. thank you. next on the rundown, we will talk with a muslim american about what he thinks on this situation. and later, colonel david hunt mentioned angry with tom broekhoff about comments he made in the boston bombing. we are coming right back. [ male announcer ] you are a business pro.
5:11pm
omnipotent of opportunity. you know how to mix business... with business. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above.
5:12pm
and still pay the mid-size price. i could get used to this. [ male announcer ] yes, you could business pro. yes, you could. go national. go like a pro. gives you 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 50% annual bonus. and everyone but her... no. no! no. ...likes 50% more cash. but i don't give up easy... do you want 50% more cash? yes! yes?! ♪ [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on every purchase,
5:13pm
plus a 50% annual bonus on the cash you earn. it's the card for people who like more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? why? and we've hit the why phase... >> bill: in the impact segment tonight how should good muslims fight the jihad. first muslim congressman keith ellison of minnesota says we should ignore it. >> who knows what these
5:14pm
individuals' motivation may be. but it probably will have something more to do with politics than religion. so let's not cast a wide net and go after a whole religious group. >> >> bill: unbelievable. would he know, of course, that the bombers bombers were motivated by religion. joining us from washington, awad. the national executive director on the council of american islamic reej relations. am i being unfair here? >> >> i think have you been inaccurate. but let me just explain why. first of all, thank you for having me on the show again. i really appreciate it. because it's important to bring american muslims to speak to the nation through a network like fox news because there have been so many views being shared about american muslims and the faith of islam and it needs someone who is muslim practicing islam to share with the public who we are, how we feel and where we stand on the issues. so let me start with monday.
5:15pm
when the horrific news came on, i was at home. i run marathons. family members in my family they run marathons. i am a cheerleader for them. i know the excitement. i know the energy. so, when this news came, the explosion happened there. it shattered so many lives. i am angered as a muslim i am angered because i love this sport and i'm angered as an american because this attack was on all of us. on all of us, period. no ifs, ands and buts. we condemned this swiftly, quickly. i myself was glued to tv like millions of americans when i saw the photos of the suspects. i tweeted those photos and i asked people if they know they should immediately contact the fbi. then on monday, sorry, -- yeah, on friday, when the pictures were released and there was a deadly shootout
5:16pm
and the first suspect was killed. myself was relieved that one was down. and the end of the day, when the second suspect was held, i was totally relieved that the hunt was over. >> bill: okay. we take you at your word that you are a good american and you want justice to be done. but the fact remains that radical islam is the primary driver of terrorism in the world. would you admit that? >> no. >> bill: you wouldn't admit that. >> no. >> bill: here is where it all goes. i don't have time for a speech. you have got to go back and forth with bheevment okay? >> no, no. >> bill: you not admitting that radical islam drives worldwide terrorism puts you in the category where you have no credibility. because the facts are the facts. 90% of worldwide terrorism is radical islam. >> okay. >> bill: period. >> okay. you made your statement. allow me to share with you what islam means to me.
5:17pm
>> bill: i don't know what islam means to you with all due respect. that's not the topic. >> your viewers bill buy my interview was this you just said -- you just said that radical islam is not the driving force of terrorism in the world. when that is an absurd statement. >> i think your statement is absurd because you are trying to redefine religion for me. you are trying to redefine my faith to me women p. >> bill: no i'm not. i'm telling you that radical islamists, under the banner of jihad are causing the most intention terrorism the earth has ever seen and you are denying it. so either you are naive or i mean, you are just way out of touch, do you not have a television set? >> bill, i think you are just making up some stuff. >> bill: making it up. >> i'm telling you islam is a peaceful religion. islam is my faith. >> bill: what about these jihaddists then? >> well, also you do not he know the word jihad what it
5:18pm
means. i'm telling you jihad is a legitimate struggle. those terrorists who are using the word are trying to legitimize their attacks on innocent people. >> bill: do you know how many of them there are? you have a whole nation of iran. a whole theocracy that is threatening the world. >> let's not play into their hands and legitimize their attacks. >> bill: not play into their hands and tell the truth mr. awad. i will give you the last word. >> islam is being hijacked by these people. not let's not play into their hands. what happened is an attack on humanity and all americans are united irrespectful of their faith, their ethnicity. we should all rally around bostonnians, let's not play politics of division and call islam is a faith of the extremists and of the extremists and terrorists there is no such thing. there is politics behind. this let's not play politics. i agree with the president. we should all be vigilant
5:19pm
and not rush to judgment and cast a whole -- >> bill: i got it we appreciate you coming on. we are asking do you believe the u.s. government doing all it can to protect us from terrorists? do you believe the u.s. government is doing all it can to protect we the people from terrorists? yes or. no directly ahead, tom brokaw says the u.s.a. should rethink drones because they could have motivated the boston terror bombing. colonel david hunt takes exception. john stossel on surveillance cameras. they broke the boston bombing case. stossel is weary of them. those reports upcoming. [ lisa ] my name's lisa, and chantix helped me quit.
5:20pm
i honestly loved smoking, and i honestly didn't think i would ever quit. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. it put me at ease that you could smoke on the first week. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depresd mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chanti if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or otr mental health proems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, or if you develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. use caution when driving or operating machinery.
5:21pm
common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. with chantix and with the support system it worked for me. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. using telemedical and mobile technologies, verizon innovators are connecting trauma surgeons to patients in the field. helping them get the attention they need, before they even reach the hospital. because the world's biggest challenges deserve even bigger solutions. powerful answers. verizon.
5:22pm
story segment former news anchor tom brokaw last night stating motivation for the terror bombing might have been the u.s. drone policy
5:23pm
against al qaeda and the taliban. mr. brokaw apparently wants to reevaluate the drone situation but puts forth no military strategy to replace drones. also have to examine the use of drones that the united states is involved in. is a lot of civilians innocently killed in a o'drobinak attack in pakistan and afghanistan and in iraq he a more news rage that part of the world presumptionist. >> we asked mr. brokaw to appear on the factor and he declined. someone who is not real happy with him joins us now. colonel david hunt has a new book out called terrorette. it's a pal to boston terror bombing. we'll get to the book in a moment. where is brokaw going wrong. >> everything about his statement. innocuous inexclusive for a man popular sunday morning
5:24pm
was. >> meet the press. i'm brokaw now. i'm better looking but he says and is he not alone in this because we are using the drone to attack the leadership of al qaeda taliban because we do that. drone explodes killed and they are not the leadership of the taliban. do that. because that just makes it worse. it just angers the muslims and more jihadists sign up. that's what he said. >> first all mr. brokaw/mr. o'reilly. we are at war. and we do not target civilians. civilians have done and will continue to be hurt or killed in combat. that is a terrible ancillary combat. we are not targeting civilians. drones are saving american lives and alieuing us to prosecute this war cross border as opposed to special forces and seals running across from pakistan. >> this is what i would ask
5:25pm
brokaw if he had the can a hone in as to come in which he doesn't. >> helicopter cover and all of that. >> our fault. attack and killed kids. fill bill i don't think he says that underpinning of why people attack us. rage. >> here is what i world war ii. we bomb the hell out of japan and germany. that was okay. but we don't have a right to defend ourselves now. now, you are a combat veteran. i mean, you are in the middle of it. and when you are at war. you not kill civilians. it's just going to happen, right? >> every day, yes. terrible unfortunate fact that these are
5:26pm
indiscriminate nate things in vietnam' other things like that. etch. >> by the way we go out of our way in afghanistan to avoid killing anyone. >> bill: we hold back a lot of drone strikes. >> >> this book comes out on the tuesday after the bombings in boston. did that spook you? >> yeah, it did. it's on the shelves today. i wrote it five years ago. because i lived in boston and because of my life and the co-author's life, we put them together and created an environment that both of us could write about. >> bill: you write about a terror attack in boston and then it actually happens. when it happened what went through your mind? >> shock. very upsetting. period. i mean, nobody wants that to happen. we even had an incident in water town in the book.
5:27pm
and this muslim brotherhood and started in boston and expands. >> your tears are mumples? >> muslim brotherhood, absolutely. >> bill: you can't do that you just heard our muslim guest. >> of course you can we can and we will. not all muslims are a terrorist. everyone that is attacking us happens to be. >> i don't think president obama is going to read your book. >> i tried to get in the white house. it hasn't happened yet. >> maybe you if you said unnamed terrorists. >> book from me to the white house i don't see it happen. >> the book is bed terrorist. mocking cnn for terror coverage. crowley and colmes. one of the murdered three americans before the attack last week. investigation is going on. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. ... but with advair, i'm breathing better. so now i can help make this a great block party.
5:28pm
♪ [ male announce ] advair is clinically proven to help significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not bused more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may incrse your risk of osteoporosis some eye prlems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function. [ male announcer ] advair diskus fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation powder. get your first prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com. [ beeping ] ♪ [ male announcer ] we don't just certify our pre-owned vehicles.
5:29pm
we inspect, analyze and recondition each one, until it's nothing short of a genuine certified pre-owned... mercedes-benz for the next new owner. ♪ hurry in to your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for 1.99% financing during our certified pre-owned sales event through april 30th.
5:30pm
that work the way you wish they would. like a front-end loader you can detach from your seat? or a mower deck you just drive over
5:31pm
and cut through knee-deep grass no problem? yep. we thought the same thing you did. that's why we build them this way. that's how we run. nothing runs like a deere. visit your dealer or johndeere.com/howwerun to see the new signature series and 1 family tractors. stossel matter segment tonight. department store broke the boston terror case wide open. and now there is a debate on whether more security cameras should be put in public spaces. >> the people who are worried about privacy, have a legitimate worry but we live in a complex world where you are going to have to have a level of security greater than you did back in the olden days if you will. and our laws and our i object ter presentation of the constitution, i think, have to change. >> bill: all right here now
5:32pm
to reply to that fox business anchor john stossel. disagree with mayor bloomberg? >> about a ton of things but not that really. these cameras are going to grow and that's okay. i disagree, i don't think the constitution needs to change. the constitution forbids unreasonable searches. i don't think a camera is that. >> we have a right to privacy also. you know, part of the abortion debate was a privacy issue. it you can believe it the supreme court decision roe v. wade. but privacy now what basically is going to happen is happening is once you step out of your house. you don't have any privacy anymore. that's it. >> in many ways you never did. he we reporters were very defensive in saying we the public have a right to take pictures of people. >> on public property, absolute gli. >> when you go too people's homes, that's another story. these cameras are in public. if you are outdoors today. you have to assume you may be photographed. >> all right. so you don't have any problem with this?
5:33pm
>> it creeps me out. it can be abused. the idea of the government monitoring people is is a little creepy. alabama state troopers were caught zooming in on women's buttocks and passing them around to their friends and putting that on cable tv. >> bill: there can be abuses, obviously. they have got cameras now in new york state all over the place to see if you jump a light or something like that. and those are actually causing accidents because people are slamming on the brakes because they don't want the camera to pick you up. there are unintended consequences to this massive camera society that we're building up. as they get smaller and cheaper now they are talking about software where can measure like someone leaves a bag in a public place that the camera would somehow tell the police go check that out. it hasn't really come yet. >> bill: x-ray technology you can see through stuff. that's coming. you know he that's coming. whenever your bag is.
5:34pm
>> >> bill: tears in the boat. they were able to take infrared to see this guy where he was and what he was doing. that's absolutely going to happen. so we're all going to be naked. that's what's going to hoop. 10 years walking along and have a camera goes right through your clothes and through your bag. >> the town of cambridge where these guys live voted against cameras. they put 8 of them up. they didn't connect them. so, i think now they're glad that the cameras are out there. you believe nobody is going to stop. this brave new world in america is going to be cameras in public places everywhere and the technology is going to be there and that's just that? >> there already are. most of the government are cameras are not the government. >> lord and taylor took that thing. >> lord and taylor can't put you in jail. >> if they get you shoplifting they can stossel, be careful. make sure you pay. >> only the government.
5:35pm
>> john: is it legal on whether the older terror bomber in boston murdered three other people before the attack. legal is next. [ male announcer ] this is kevin. to prove to you that aleve is the better choice for him, he's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. i was okay, but after lunch my knee started to hurt again. and now i've got to take more pills. ♪ yup. another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. ♪ [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap. ♪ great first gig! let's go! party! awwwww... arigato! we are outta here!
5:36pm
party...... finding you the perfect place, every step of the way. hotels.com
5:37pm
5:38pm
>> bill: thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly. in is is it legal segment tonight. three controversial topics beginning with unsolved murder in boston. there may be that may be, i
5:39pm
should say, the work of slain terrorist tamerlan tsarnaev. on september 12th, 2011 three people found murdered in boston suburb. the case has never been solved. now police are looking at the terror connection. with us attorneys and fox news analyst kimberly guilfoyle and lis wiehl. the cops now just tell us about the connection. >> the connection is that they were friends. they were boxing buddies. they went to the same gym. >> one of the murdered guys is friends with tamerlan. >> brandon mets. >> he went to the same -- trained at the same place. the coach there at that gym said they were best friends. >> best friends. >> also i spoke with middlesex prosecutor's office today and they confirmed that that killing, the slaying of those three it looked like somebody let them in. there was not a forced entry. so u. have got friends, you have got no forced entry. you have got -- and the third thing that was a little bit strange is the that slain terrorists did not go to the funeral of the supposed best friend.
5:40pm
that seemed to be odd. >> bill: there is one more thing. the murders took place on 9/11 according to the cops. the bodies were discovered on 9/12. >> bill: all right. so right now what are they doing, guilfoyle? >> they are conducting an investigation. >> reopen the case. >> yeah. because this is a case that was essentially a cold case but now they are saying perhaps there might be a connection. maybe it's tenuous at best but it's worth giving it a second look because now that they know that he has the propensity to commit a crime of violence. >> bill: did he know any other guys? >> that hasn't been determined. he was best friends with brendon methods and he didn't attend the hospital. >> bill: maybe they should ask the blower in the hospital if he killed. >> the crime scene was staged with $5,000 in cash. marijuana prosecuting judge cases and involving cartel. they don't leave the money and the drugs around. >> very different kind of killing. throats were were slit. speculation to this point is it was some kind of drug-related crime. >> now they need a forensic
5:41pm
tie-in. >> in west virginia a kid who wore a pro-nra national arrested.ociation t-shirt >> yeah, protect your rights. this is a clear cut case, in my opinion of him exercising his first amendment rights. and this was in light of all the national debate and discussion regarding gun legislation an registry. he is 14 years old. jared marcum as you see on the screen there he was told to remove his shirt. he refused and then was escorted to the principal's office. as he was being brought out some of the students in the cafeteria were cheering and clapping because he was standing up for his rights. >> bill: they were clapping for him? >> in support. >> bill: suspended by the school but gets arrested for what? >> disturbing the education process. which is disturbance of school. kind of a unique. >> disturbing the education process. >> the other charge is obstructing an officer, which you can get six months in a juvenile facility. >> bill: here is what the kid had to say, go.
5:42pm
>> people are saying that i did the right thing. that they are proud. they are doing is trying to take away my rights of freedom of speech and the second amendment. >> firearms completely out of equation. it's about preservation of fundamental rights. >> bill: we have debated this before. there is a tenet that teacher or administrator in school can ask a student not the to do a certain thing if it's disrupting. >> if it's disruptive of the school process. >> technically not going to go ahead with that though because it happened in the lunchroom. not a classroom. >> bill: changed his shirt from the lunchroom to the classroom. >> what happened is the teacher went into the lunchroom. the teacher was really the one that created the havoc. the teacher said in his face you get rid of that you take it off or you are going to the principal. the principal seeing this calls the officer and that's how this all happened. >> the school authorities would have to prove or at least indicate that this shirt was causing a disruption in the classroom. >> in the classroom,
5:43pm
exactly. >> propensity of violence. respectfully suggests. it doesn't rise to any of those standards. he wore the shirt and he is going to bring a civil lawsuit first amendment. where is the aclu by the way nic pg and choosing. picking and choosing. i'm just saying. >> they're busy saying that the terrorists have to be protected in boston. >> exactly. >> bill: i will let you handle this gosnell thing the abortion doctor in philadelphia on trial for murder. you were there. right, in the courtroom? >> yes, i have been in the courtroom. i have been following the case very closely. i was able to sit 8 feet behind this monster, this doctor, i have seen all the evidence. it indicates, photographs, the testimony from the medical examiner today and i think relatively stunning move. the judge threw out three of the eight charges against dr. kermit gosnell. >> bill: why? >> the defense argument from mr. mcmahon was that there was insufficient evidence to prove viability that these babies were born alive. and he tied in the testimony. >> bill: how many more charges are against him? >> they still have five charges.
5:44pm
>> bill: five? >> four babies that were born alive. eyewitness testimony. heard the babies crying, everything. and one woman that died. >> that's enough to get this guy put away for life. >> right. by the way tomorrow some congress people have written a letter to cbs, abc, and nbc news chief saying why aren't you covering this story? we are going to have the congresswoman on to signed that letter tomorrow. all right, ladies, thanks very much as always. jon stewart going after cnn over its terror bomb coverage. that report moments away. with hotwire's low prices, we can afford to take an extra trip this year. first boston... then san francisco. hotwire checks the competitions' rates every day so they can guarantee their low prices. so our hotels were half price. ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e... ♪ hotwire.com
5:45pm
5:46pm
5:47pm
>> bill: back ever the book segment tonight, our pal jon stewart really pounding cnn over its terror bombing coverage. >> while all the other networks chose to have what you call it their anchor in the studio that kept the
5:48pm
chaotic coverage from going to drift. cnn went with more of your san lock football. [ laughter ] everyone go long. forcing their reporters to let the control room open for on camera pass. >> guys, you got to come to us. listen, okay. >> a huge caravan. jake, jake, john. >> estimated coverage just kept coming. >> a couple of cars are now beginning to move. >> got cars going straight. cars peeling to the right. a number of the vehicles just pulled out. we hear one of the canine dogs barking. interesting, that dog is barking. we can smell -- something in the air. >> that's at least the third canine dog that began barking. barking very very loudly. they may be smelling what we smelled. [ laughter ] >> let me tell you something about canine dogs.
5:49pm
[ laughter ] i got one of them and they bark a lot. it was a noble effort, you know, keep going. it will get better. any final thoughts? >> being in watertown right now, the streets are empty. it'seery. it's as though a bomb had dropped somewhere. >> bill: had to react. monica crowley and alan colmes. what this is about not just the reporters on cnn but also fox news. had to cover hours and hours. >> nothing is happening. have to fill time. >> bill: right. >> maybe that's not the best way to do it what do you say? >> bill: i had to face this a couple times last week myself. what we did was book guests who knew about certain parts of the case so when the hard news slowed down we didn't have to go to the canine dogs. we could go to a human being. for example, on friday
5:50pm
night. i mean, nobody knew about when this terrorist was going to be caught. we knew he would be. we didn't know what time. i had geraldo sitting here god help me but geraldo knows a lot about the case. so when there was a lull in the action. we would go geraldo, when we howie carr up in boston. family spokesman for the poor 8-year-old who was killed. little boy and we had -- we go to him. but cnn relied far too much on just being there. and the results were the results. >> yeah, very unfortunate for cnn. look, it is a challenge because i think the cable news environment, bill, lends itself to always, not just in an emergency like, this but always a sense of urgency vow news alerts and whether you are covering an actual urgent situation like this. or not, there is always sort of this injection of necessary energy. and sometimes you manufacture the energy and i think we are all kind of guilty of doing this. >> bill: just about filling
5:51pm
the time. >> this is what i mean about filling the time as well there is a lot of pressure to always kind of be out there with something that's breaking even when there is not anything breaking. >> bill: next time i want colmes to go out there. >> yeah. sure you do. >> bill: people should understand this, and stewart knows this as well. stewart just saw a big opportunity to be funny and it was funny. they throw you out there for about 90 seconds, which doesn't sound like a lot. but when you don't have anything but dogs barking and a couple of cars going by that's a long 90. >> the reporters are not the other people experts. not are with the story resides. big star now. this going to make my career. story plane crashed into the long island sound. and they stayed on the shot of the sound for like hours. >> i remember that yeah. when he we're covering breaking news stories like this. we don't want to be the
5:52pm
jerk that peels away and starts covering something else miss something. reporters sent out there with the -- you know, and a lot of it is just bs. they don't know what so a you have to fill a lot of time. alan and i both do talk radio. it's actually great training if you have to fill three hours a day. >> bill: some commercials. you can always go to that. and 18 hours. >> salary. >> bill: i do talk radio, too. whenever it got boring, oh we will go to commercial. >> it does tend to focus the mind and get trained. >> viewers anticipation. you know that something is going to happen. >> got to know. and you have got to be honest. the other thing that was bad about the boston coverage was so much speculation'. and everybody knows the factor no. i mean, that is my big rule. if you don't know, don't say. >> there is a lot of pressure though to do that. i think in this news environment because you have a proliferation of news sources. everybody wants to be on the story that everybody else is covering. >> angers the audience.
5:53pm
>> first one with it and sometimes their news sourcing is not proper and embarrassing. >> that's when the agenda comes out it's a right wing terror group. nazi did it. >> here is another area to look at now competition with twitter and social media which is so immediate that they feel they have to compete. >> bill: factor tip of the day. unique opportunity to help wounded military people. the tip moments away. ♪
5:54pm
using supercomputing and mobile technology over our secure network, verizon innovators are building a world of medical treatment data in the cloud. so doctors can make a more informed diagnosis from anywhere, in seconds rather than months. because the world's biggest challenges deserve even bigger solutions. powerful answers.
5:55pm
verizon. that work the way you wish they would. like a front-end loader you can detach from your seat? or a mower deck you just drive over and cut through knee-deep grass no problem? yep. we thought the same thing you did. that's why we build them this way. that's how we run. nothing runs like a deere. visit your dealer or johndeere.com/howwerun to see the new signature series and 1 family tractors. >> factor tip of the day. how you can help some wounded military people in a moment. first we have another great promotion for you on billoreilly.com. this one for mother's day. if you buy a copy of "killing lincoln" or" killing kennedy" you get a free copy of lis wiehl's book.
5:56pm
you can give it to mom and then you get to read them, as well. such a deal. now the mail. >> so we bring the troops home from afghanistan, is which we are going to do, then what happens, dan? taliban moves back in, create chaos, and resetting up the terror camps and then we get hit again s that what you want? charles. >> the usa targets very
5:57pm
specifically, but these people hide behind civilians. are you getting this, charles? are you getting that? tom, from california. >> he believes we should drop the drones because he believes they encourage things like the boston bombing. question for him, how would he defend the nation? susan from tel aviv, israel. >> from ohio.
5:58pm
>> i'm glad you enjoyed the town hall, charles. pms an see it anytime they want. we hope everybody signs up for premiere membership, it's a lot of fun. from iowa. >> we did very, very well, and thank you all. the factor of the day we try to help wounded servicemen as much as we can. these folks have sacrificed tremendously for us. when they come back to the uusa from the battlefield we owe them. it's a wounded warrior posted signed by the six living first ladies of the united states. there's no other item like this in the entire world. thus, it is historically significant, very valuable. especially because nancy reagan has signed the poster.
5:59pm
mrs. reagan, now 91 years old and is it not sign anything, but she consented to do this to help the griefiously wounded. go to billoreilly.com and you can bid on the poster. i'm opening the auction tonight at $5,000. if you can't afford that, we understand. how ab donation to the wounded warriors? that will get you a replica of the poster suitable for framing. hope you check it out. there's no better cause. factor tip of the day. and that is it for us tonight. please check out the fox news factor website which is different from billoreilly.com. also, we would like you to spout off about the factor. plenty to talk about tonight. was i too rough on the muslim guy? i was thinking about "the view" ladies walking off. same thing, same thing. if you wish to